Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Fermentation Experiment Continues


Here is my latest experiment in fermented vegetables. If this works the way the websites I’ve visited, my book, The Joy of Pickling, by Linda Ziedrich, explains and a dozen or more youtube videos I watched, I should have some good tasting pickled cauliflower in three to seven days.




This is the start of my first jar.  The jars are cleaned and sterilized with boiling water, and the vegetables are rinsed.  You can’t overly clean the vegetables or risk not having them ferment properly.  The good bacteria that are on the vegetables can be damaged if washed too much.  The ingredients included coriander and mustard seed, fresh dill and garlic cloves.  In the middle is one whole jalapeño.  I packed the remainder of the jar with cauliflower.  Wish I would have remembered to put in a few pepper corns.  On the top of the cauliflower I added one whole leaf of red cabbage.  The cabbage leaf has a large amount of the good bacteria to help kick-start the fermentation. With about an inch left from the rim of the jar, I filled the jar with brine made up of one tablespoon of pickling salt to two cups of water.


This is my first jar with the lid on.  The jar is setting in a bowl just in case the fermentation causes it to overflow the jar.  Once in the morning and evening for the next three to seven days I have to loosen the cap to allow any pressure out. At the end of fermentation the jar will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.




This is the second jar. This jar has sliced Hungarian yellow wax peppers, sliced jalapeño, cucumber, cauliflower, coriander and mustard seed, fresh dill and garlic cloves. It is topped with the red cabbage and brine like the first jar.


Here is one other view of the jar.  I think it looks pretty special!! Well, lets hope it taste at least as good!  


Thanks for following my blog.

2 comments:

  1. Just a suggestion, can ya put up other cooking tips too? I'm your biggest fan! I've used lots of your tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Stace! I'll work on the that as time permits. What would you like to see first? ;-)

    ReplyDelete