Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Broccoli Salad



Ingredients
1 head broccoli
8 to 10 slices cooked bacon, crumbled 
½ to 1 cup chopped red onion or sweet onion 
½ to 1 cup dried Cranberries or cherries 
½ to 1 cup chopped carrot 
½ to 1 cup chopped walnut 

Dressing
1 cup Miracle Whip, see direction 
2 tablespoons vinegar 
1/4 cup sugar 

Directions 
Start with the broccoli. Wash and cut flowerets and stems into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add the crumbled bacon, onion, dried cranberries or cherries, and carrot. Dressing, in a measuring cup, combine vinegar and sugar then add Miracle Whip to make up one full cup total. Add to broccoli mixture and toss gently.

Options
If you have extra time I would suggest blanching the broccoli in boiling water for 30 seconds and then rinse in cold water. This brightens the green color and I believe makes it taste better. I blanch before cutting into pieces.
I use walnuts, but you can use sunflower seeds, pecans, cashews, or even peanuts.
You may want to add cheese, small chunks or shredded.
If using mayo in place of Miracle Whip you may need to increase the amount of sugar to a ½ cup.
Blanched Broccoli Ready to be chopped

Chopped Broccoli

Chopped Sweet Onion

Chopped Carrot

Chopped Walnuts

This is the dried cranberries I used

I used this bacon.  No Nitrates.

This is the vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, and Miracle Whip I used

Sugar and Vinegar Mixed Together

Add Miracle Whip to the Sugar Vinegar until you have a total of one cup as shown.

I hope you enjoy this wonderful salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment