Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Results of My 2nd Container of Fermented Vegetables


For lunch this afternoon I finally opened the larger container.  This one has convinced me I will continue to make my own pickles.  The first word that came to mind with my first taste is wow!   This is far better than I had hoped for, slight salt taste, nice tang with a little bite of heat as the finish with no after taste. The crispiness of the cauliflower is prefect.
 
When I put this mix of vegetables together in this lager container I wanted to include some cucumber.  Unfortunately the only thing I could find was in the local grocery store.  It was a nice looking cucumber, however, like most grocery store produce it was wax coated. It thought I’d just cut the skin off and take the seed out of the cucumber.  However good my intentions, this was a poor idea.  The cucumber taste good but really lacks any form of crispness.  It has the texture of a wet piece of bread. One more lesson learned.
Both the jalapeño and yellow wax pepper came out great.  Good flavor, color and texture.  I’m sure I’ll be making some batches of just peppers in the near future.

 Take a look at this photo and how the cauliflower took on the pink hew from the cabbage leaf.

Here is a close up of the cauliflower and cucumber. The cauliflower is wonderful while the cucumber didn't have the right texture even though it still taste good.

I'll post more as I make my next batch of fermented pickles.  Thanks for looking and happy pickling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment