Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sauerkraut! Well, Almost - 10 Days into Fermentation

I decided to make pork chops for dinner and what would go better than a little kraut?  If nothing else it gave me a good excuse to break into the crock for a look-see.  Ok, I opened it for the first time since I sealed it 10 days ago.  I was expecting a sauerkraut smell, but to my pleasant surprise there really wasn't much of any.  I pulled out the weights and scooped out a bowl full.  It looks great!  There is still a slight amount of green color.  Of course I had to sample some right out of the crock.  Well, it wasn't quite what I expected. The salt taste was most dominate followed by a slight tang and a little of the caraway seed flavor, but then again, it's only been 10 days.  What I hope is the salt taste will diminish as it ferments more. It seems strange that it came out salty as I followed the minimum amount for the poundage of cabbage.  The texture is very good.  Nice crunch.  The bottom line, it needs more time, so, the lid is back on and I'll leave it for at least another ten days.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment